Skip to main content

The Final Blog


how i met your mother thumbs up GIF


This semester has been quite an adventure. I have learned valuable lessons and some really great information from this first-year seminar. I really enjoyed this class, not only because it had some really interesting information, but because I truly felt that it made me a better college student for my future years at McDaniel College. We had several assignments that I would see during my college career including, an oral presentation, two papers (that varied in length), two exams, readings of several books and articles, many quizzes, a final exam that requires us to get out into the real world and teach people what we had learned, and blogs. My first blog was pretty weak, and I didn’t know really what I was talking about. However, as I progressed through the course, I became much more confident in my knowledge and I felt as if I knew what I was talking about. I was better able to analyze the fairytales that we were discussing because I was getting used to the psychological meanings of the fairytales and I understood that I needed to dive in deep to the meaning to understand it truly. When I was writing my term paper, I noticed that my writing had improved drastically, along with my citation skills. In addition, I felt like I was better able to understand the meaning of the fairytale that I was analyzing. Whereas in the beginning of the semester, I would have been mind-boggled at what “The Three Feathers” truly meant. My favorite blog that I did was about the variations of the “Bluebeard” tales. They were extremely cool to analyze because they were so bizarre and out there. I am very glad and grateful that I was able to take this course as my first year seminar.

happy the rock GIF
https://giphy.com/gifs/happy-smile-QLvRBqfLXCphu
https://giphy.com/gifs/how-i-met-your-mother-thumbs-up-neil-patrick-harris-k39w535jFPYrK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Robber Bridegroom vs. Fitcher's Bird vs. Bluebeard

  The Robber Bridegroom This tale by the Brother's Grimm starts with a marriage if the beautiful miller's daughter and a suitor. She had never visited her suitor before so he arranged for her to meet him by laying ashes down as for a path for him to get to her. When she saw the trail of ashes, she didn't quite trust it so she marked the path with her own peas and lentils. She arrived at the house with a very eerie feeling. Voices inside the house were telling her to turn back and that the house was full of murderers. She searched the house long and hard for the bridegroom but he was no where to be found. She arrived in the basement and found a very old woman. She asked the old woman where she could find her bridegroom and the old woman told her that her bridegroom was a murderer and he was going to chop her up into little pieces. The old woman told her she would hide her and get her out later after the murderers had gone to sleep. She hid her behind a barrel as the m

Fact or Fiction

The Brothers Grimm were very influential and important people in their time. They wrote many novels that transformed German culture and literature. This led Terry Gilliam to direct a movie about their lives in 2005, titled "The Brothers Grimm". However, there were many aspects of the movie that were not factual and did not happen in real life. So, what is fact and fiction about the Brothers lives? Fact The Grimm's were true blood related brothers. They came from a poor family and had to go out and get money for the family. They had people tell them folktales and stories. Which they would later use to write a novel called, The Complete Children's and Household Tales. Many of the fictional events that happened in the movie, were stories taken from their novel.  In the movie they portrayed the Brother's hating the French, which was true in their real lives. They were very involved in politics and weren't afraid to show their opinion. Fiction In th

What is a Fairy Tale?

According to Stith Thompson a fairy tale is a “tale of some length involving a succession of motifs or episodes. It moves in an unreal world without definite creatures and is filled  with the marvelous. In this never-never ending land, humble heroes kill adversaries, succeed to kingdom and marry princesses,” (The Folktale, 1977, 8). This is an accurate definition of a fairy tale but there are many characteristics that contribute to a fairy tale than just heroes killing villains and marrying princesses. Fairy tales always have formulaic expressions, such as “once upon a time” and “they lived happily ever after”. Fairy tales usually have the same opening at the beginning of the story and the same ending at the end. A fairy tale will usually end with “they lived happily ever after” to make the reader feel content and happy with the ending because they know all is well. They also usually have no detailed descriptions, they won’t let you know what the princess looks like, the hero or th